Dental Care at Home
Dentist in Pendleton, IN Shares at Home Care Tips
Dental care is an important aspect of our overall health. Although many of us may underestimate the importance of proper oral health, it is something that will affect us all and can lead to more serious complications if it is neglected.
Here, we will go over a few of the basic, yet essential aspects of proper oral care at home.
Everyone knows that brushing is one of the most important parts of oral health. However, even though we’ve all been doing it for most of our lives, many of us are still surprised that we are doing it wrong. Here are a few tips to make sure that you are brushing your teeth properly.
• Brush twice a day and for at least two minutes. This helps to ensures that you get spots that may be hard to reach and gives the toothpaste time to works its magic.
• Always sweep away from the gum line. This makes sure that you are not doing damage to your gums by scrubbing too hard.
• Use soft-bristled toothbrushes. This helps to avoid damaging the enamel of your teeth and prevents damage to your gums.
• For even fresher breath, always make sure to scrub your tongue to help eliminate odor causing bacteria.
Flossing is another important part of taking care of your teeth at home. You should try to floss at least once per day, or as often as you can. Flossing helps to remove any food that may have gotten caught in the tight-to-reach places that your toothbrush can’t get.
Here are a few tips to help you floss better.
• Use about 18 to 24 inches of floss and wrap both ends securely around your index and middle fingers.
• Hold the floss tightly around each tooth in a C-shaped form. Gently, slide the floss in between your teeth and move it back and forth and side to side against the sides of each tooth.
• Always rinse your mouth after flossing.
Many people underestimate using a dental rinse as part of their oral hygiene routine. However, rinsing is an important part of cleaning bacteria out of your mouth and can help keep your breath fresh, even hours after you’ve brushed. If you have young children in your house, it might be a good idea to use alcohol-free mouthwash.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Johnston, leading dentist in Pendleton, IN, please call our office at (765) 778-7558 today.